Two evenings later we drove into Stewart, we had just driven over the range, it was snowing the whole way. We found some accommodation(Ripley's is the best place to stay there as we found), got fish n chips and found a spot on the sound with an amazing view of the sun going down. After dinner, a couple of beers and a fire we went to drive back only to be waved down at the Canadian border for trying to drive though it with out stopping. To be fair it doesn't really look like a border more of a truck stop, anyway the lady was pissed, we didn't have our passports either so that made it worse. Eventually after some smooth talking kiwi conversation about how awesome Canada was and how many Canadian friends we had they flagged the $1000 fine and we got to leave.
The next morning we were up early ready to sled, but found the border didn't open until 8.30. There was a couple of other crews around town and speaking to them they thought it was going to be bad weather but the next few days were looking good. The first good weather and snow in a few weeks. We headed up anyway. To get to the spot to sled from you drive across the border into Alaska then drive until road has to much snow on it and sled from there. There was some other people sledding so we just followed them because it was cloudy still and we didn't know where we were going. After a while we caught up to them and found out they had never been there either. Blind leading the blind through the cloud. We parked up and started building an igloo while we waited for it to clear. It never did clear so we ended up with a real sweet igloo, it had seats a table, a pretty good entranceway. The next three days were good, mostly sunny a little cloud sometimes. The sled zone was massive, it was scary to me how far out we sledded. There were glaciers everywhere, lots of open flats, cravasses and cornices surrounded by mountains just carrying on forever. We had planned to only stick around a couple of days and then carry on but its hard to pass up a sunny day with good snow in Alaska so we stayed on. The days were super long so every night when we got back town was shut down and we could only eat the microwave food we had, that wasn't to epic after a long day. By the time a bad weather day came we were looking forward to getting out. We planned to carry on to Haines but the weather was looking bad for the whole long term forecast so we flagged the drive(a further 18 hours) and drove the 18 hours back to Whistler. Was such a good trip, such good terrain up there and can't wait to go back and explore further next time!! Look out for an article from the trip in aus/nz snowboarding issue #62